Thursday, November 20, 2008

Honduras Is On The Road To World Cup 2010 – Nov. 20

Watched Honduras beat Mexico last night in a rain soaked match in San Pedro Sula. The price of the tickets was very high so I opted to watch in a restaurant here in Santa Cruz. There were a few others with the same idea so a nice little crowd.

For supper I had the smoked pork which is a favourite of mine here. The pork chop is cut very thin but the way it is smoked is lovely. At half time, the restaurant folks served the fans a lovely little snack of a fried tortilla (deep fried I think) with a little dollop of refried beans sprinkled with cheese. Very tasty. Lots of salt which I think was to encourage ordering extra rounds of refreshment. I obliged with coffee and hot milk.

After the game, the town resounded with celebration. Fireworks and loud firecrackers were set off in every corner. After I got home, I heard the truckloads of fans sploshing up and down the muddy streets full of exuberant fans.

The game was somewhat interesting and Mexico was obviously not too serious about winning. Their berth in the next stage was already assured. There were flickers of the Mexican’s superior skills but, for the most part, they hung around their own end and let the Hondurans bring the game to them. Things got a little more intense in the last few minutes as a Mexican defender was sent off. But, other than that (from a Canadian fan’s perspective) the game was rather uneventful. Canada was continuing their shameful journey by losing 3-0 to Jamaica. We have big players who are skilled enough to play in Europe but cannot find a way to play as a national team. Not sure what the problem is.

This morning I woke to more rain. My laundry is being done but it is not drying. I may have to buy an iron just to get things dry before I run out of clothes. Or, I will build another grain dryer and use it for a laundry dryer.

Bryan

No comments: