Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Grain Dryer – Stage 1 – November 10

Luxury. The water is on and, my new, two-burner electric stove (made in Columbia) is busy boiling eggs for supper and breakfast. Obviously, the electricity is working as well so I have light, food and water. Wow. There isn’t really a place to put the stove so it is on one side of the sink right now. I carefully unplug it before doing any dishes – not sure if the ground wire is of full value.
On my way home this evening, I met with the leader of the music group at the Catholic church and thanked him for some very lovely music last night during mass. A very nice group of nine singers, three guitars, two drummers and one electric piano – could almost think of a song with those type of numbers. They wore matching mauve shirts – hearkening me back to High School Chorale days with our striking pink shirts with purple vests – we were sooooo cool. He told me the practice and mass times. Will check out a few other churches to see what they are like.
This morning I went to Antonio’s to meet with people who are involved with the work that CPI Canada has been doing for the last six years. They were headed to a general assembly of our Honduran partner, ACP (Christian Action for Peace??). There have been some troubles with the coordinator finding ways to help himself to funds and assets. The general meeting didn’t go very well so we will have to begin in new ways. Still, a lot of positive work has been done and it was gratifying to see people here taking the initiative, time and money to work on rectifying things. They will continue to work with us in the future. That is very good news.
While Manuel and I waited for them to return from the assembly, he and I began cutting up the tubing to make the grain dryer. By the time we left in the afternoon, it was about half done and looking rather good. We will work a couple of hours tomorrow morning and then come back to Santa Cruz to work on Project stuff.
In the afternoon, we met with the Deputy Mayor of Santa Cruz. Rather confusingly, for me, is the fact that Santa Cruz is a town and a region. Both are governed by the same office. Chepe, one of our long time partners here, is friends with the mayor. Well, the mayor is busy campaigning for re-election and so, is not overly visible in the office. The Deputy Mayor graciously received us and we arranged a meeting for Thursday. She called up Oscar, a main floor office minion, who spoke wonderful English and talked about his goal of studying English in Edmonton. Will have to spend time with him and get a good tour of the town.
The rest of my afternoon was spent finding glue and rebar for the grain dryer. I am quite pleased to have found the rebar and have it cut to my specs. One word of Spanish goes so far.
Eggs are done. Don’t feel badly about my supper. I had a lovely breakfast and lunch at Antonio’s, so only want a snack.
Bryan

No comments: