Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Grain Dryer – Stage 2 – November 11

Remembrance Day in Canada. So many things to be grateful for and an opportunity to take at least a moment to remember those millions of people who have given their lives to put an end to tyranny and abuse of power. Of course, it is also a time to remember and find ways to reach out to the many more millions whose lives have been destroyed by war and the destruction that it brings.
In a small way, this project is an attempt to make peace an option. Ignorance and poverty often are bedfellows with violence. By seeking a way to alleviate these two tyrants we hope to allow people the freedom of choice in their lives. They can access different means of combating their poverty if they have a way of understanding the information that is available. They can find their own answers rather than dumbly accepting the answers given to them by self-serving politicians, neighbours, leaders, preachers ... the list is endless.
This morning I worked with Selin (boy’s name) and Manuel on Antonio’s maize dryer. It is up and the plastic is covering the roof. They are going to finish it themselves. Although not every joint is square, everyone is pleased with the result and they were busy discussing other uses for it. By putting it up on some posts, it will make an ideal setting for Gloria’s (the mother) birthday party. It can then double as a parking shelter. This means it will be used year round and won’t get damaged in storage.
Antonio is going to keep record of temperatures inside and out so that we get an idea of temperature gain. It was hot enough today that the difference may not be huge. I certainly wouldn’t want to be sitting in it though.
My neighbours must be somewhat bemused by my comings and goings. This morning I got all the way to the Town Square and remembered I had forgotten the rebar. Back home. Then, I got halfway to the Square again and remembered I had forgotten the glue. Back home again. Sigh. Twenty minutes walking later, I was in the collectivo and on my way. Tell me this is good for me.
This afternoon, we stopped by the CAL office. We got possession this morning and Jessica, Carolina and Julia were busy cleaning it. It is obviously in need of cleaning and the yard will take several weeks to get in order. The place was looking better already though. The good will of these ladies is incredible. They are so eager to have a chance for themselves and for members of their families and communities to get more education.
Manuel and I spent an hour learning how to make a spreadsheet for accounting purposes. Neat program but there are so many skills that are integral to making it work. Using an English keyboard on a laptop is pretty difficult. The mystery of formulas in cells may take a while to conquer. I think of it as totally amazing and, supposedly, I have had some experience on this machine for a lot of years.
On Manuel’s way to the bus, we stopped at a carpenter shop near my house and ordered a bed and a small table to hold my stove. Will take him a 50% down payment tomorrow and he will start work. Some of the stuff he had sitting there looked reasonably good so I have hopes for a functional product.
Bryan

No comments: