Saturday, December 5, 2009

Limonaria Cuttings

Today is the draw for the placing of the World Cup teams. As Honduras is in the World Cup, there is a great deal of excitement surrounding the event. My neighbour informed me that the draw starts at 11.00 this morning. Now, how to look like I am working and yet, at the same time, find a place to watch the draw? Will likely have to read about it online tonight.

Earlier this week, José, my “projects” worker, told me he had found a plot of land only three blocks away on which we could do some experimental planting. Great stuff. Manuel and I headed off with José to go see the plot. The “three blocks” was a decided euphemism. Twenty-five minutes later we had left the edge of town and the road and were climbing up a steep pathway to the property. It was a pretty plot but not sure that I want to be walking that far each day to see how things are going. It would be good exercise though. Hmm. On the return trip we found lemon grass and some more of another medicinal grass. As well, we got some rose and limonaria cuttings. Limonaria is a rather unpretentious looking bush that appears rather scraggly during the day. However, at night its flowers open and flood the area with the most incredible aroma. I have no idea how such a small bush can be so powerful. Needless to say, I am delighted to have some cuttings now planted in the yard and a few in tree bags for transplanting elsewhere. Regardless of how hot, dusty or trying a day in the tropics can be, passing by a limonaria at night brings back the magic and rejuvenates one´s spirit immensely.

My curtains are now hung on bamboo rods. Because my Spanish is rather halting at best, there is a great deal left to intelligent speculation on the part of my fellow workers. The idea of hanging the curtains was rather obvious. The idea of using bamboo was not. So, the deduction was that I had no idea of what I was really saying in Spanish and it was up to them to figure out what I was actually wanting. Julia guessed I wanted broomstick handles but noted that there was only one extra one in the office. Eventually, on my plot adventure, I was able to acquire one small bamboo stem and use it for one set of curtains. There was a great deal of amazement that I used bamboo and, even more so, that I had been correctly asking for it all along. A second piece came along later in the week and now my flashy curtains are hanging in place. I am not sure why, but one person I talked with in Canada was a little unsure about the effect of blue and white checks, Holsteins wearing red or yellow ribbons, pineapples, oranges, bananas and other fruits will have. I assured them that it was very “country kitchen”. Bright is better.

The equipment is all set up and Monday the first students finally arrive. As well, one of the Board Members has been clever enough to find a way to reduce the size of the files for the books so that the computers can handle them more easily. We also have a way to enhance the text with colour, more pictures and so forth. That is very exciting. Now to keep all the various files straight and master copies securely out of harm´s way.

TTYL
bb 

No comments: