Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Full House This Morning

This morning saw the first full house for our school. The morning shift filled up all the computers and work progressed apace. We had three new students yesterday and one more today so that boosted the morning cohort considerably. We have some room in the afternoon section so will have to work on getting those numbers up. Don’t think it will be a problem the way things are going.

Some more students are writing their next exam tomorrow which is exciting. At this pace, they can finish Grade 7 by the end of February. That would be absolutely fantastic. According to the numbers given us by the Education office in Santa Cruz, we have actually made a 20% difference in the student population for Grade 7. Truly amazing to think that such a small project can make such a significant change in the status quo. Once we get some satellite centres set up we can boost those numbers considerably. Our board is working on that.

Choir practice continues feverishly each evening now. If dedication is any indication of success, this choir will be the best choir I have ever sung in. Sadly, dedication may not be the only criteria. The priest, is I think, having us wear white robes (to match the altar girls??) for the occasion. Oh dear.

The bed for my watchman arrived last evening. I will take a picture tomorrow and post it. I am impressed at least. The welders are working on six clothes hangar devices which will be my Christmas presents to the staff. Beats chocolate ... well ... not really.

On Saturday I went down the road to check on a trap hive that is being constructed out of fibreglass. It was looking beautiful and I have ordered 20 more. We will hang these small hives (5 bars) in trees and hopefully passing swarms will like the look and make themselves at home. We then will transfer the swarms to bigger hives elsewhere and return the trap hive to enticement alley. It works in pictures.

In the afternoon, a friend of mine from choir went with me to check on the hives which have been moved and are finally levelled and in place. All looked well. They had enjoyed the sugar water I took last time and the beekeeper was excited about getting some more. We spent an hour looking at the bees and touring his small farm. Normally very quiet, Bernabe was positively effusive about all the things he is doing. It was a great opportunity to learn some more about the potential and problems for peasant farmers here in Honduras. We began walking back and as I was about to phone the three-wheeler taxi Guadalupe said we should just keep walking. I thought he meant to the paved road. Wrong. He meant all the way back to town. An hour and plus I was home. It was cool and cloudy so, actually, a very nice trek. He began to see things from the perspective of integrated agriculture and it was fun listening as he began pointing out potential areas of improvement and possibility.

The plastic tables which we purchased to augment the metal and wooden tables have a tendency to droop in the middle with the weight of a computer and monitor. Sort of like how I feel some days. Found some plastic pipe to act as a support column. I see the students are beginning to pack up and leave so I can get out there and prop up the weak and ailing.

Three days of cloudy weather has seen temperatures plummet to the mid teens. Toques and winter jackets sprouted like weeds as everyone sought to cope with the bitter conditions. When you consider that there is no refuge in a hot tub or near a register, it becomes more understandable.

I am going to have to find more friends to phone in Honduras. The local phone company offers double and triple time days every so often. However, the double and triple time is only to TIGO customers. Since I generally only use the phone to call my daughter, the extra time adds up. I have, I see, 5000 seconds today. If you know any Honduran people who want to practice English by TIGO, let them know.

TTYL
BB

No comments: