Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Moringa Powder


Last week we produced Moringa leaf powder in earnest. It is amazing how few leaves it takes to a pound of powder. That powder is such concentrated nutrition. I suspect that the leaf powder from a large number of edible leafed plants will provide major nutritional benefits. We just haven't tried anything else yet.


Current Leaf Dryer System

I ground the first couple of batches in our maize grinding machine (what is used to make masa for tortillas). The last batches have been done by Santiago and his recruits. He somehow manages to recruit student boys to help with the turning. Happy for that. It is warm work ... even when the temperature is not in the mid 30's like it is these days.

 

Friday morning we tried two of the recipes that we obtained from Leaf for Life (they have a fascinating web site if you are interested). Atole - a thick drink made from rolled oats, milk, leaf powder and sugar (with some vanilla). It was a dark green but very drinkable. Everyone enjoyed it. When I gave it to some workers on another project, their two year old daughter attacked it with gusto (a huge surprise for me).
Pastelito

Maricela and I enjoying Atole

We also used some powder with flour to make a pasta base. Here in Honduras, one of the forms of pasta is marmahon - small round pellets of pasta (rather like large shot gun pellets). We just made a larger size of pellets and cooked them in some instant chicken soup mix. They had a dark green colour but were quite edible. If they had cooked longer in the sauce they would have been even tastier.
 
On Saturday, Yeni made pastelitos with ham and cheese filling. She said they were wonderful. She also tried using some of the "chaff" left over from grinding to make hot Moringa tea - with cinnamon and honey - which, she said was wonderful for sleeping.
Marmahon (extra large size)


The welder finished three small tables for drying leaves. He is working on the drying tables right now and so, tomorrow or Friday we should have a much more attractive system. We will use the same set up to test Solar Water Purification (SODIS).

Will stop the powdered leaf saga before you get too bored. Oh ... no one read this far? Sigh.

TTYL
BB

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read clear to the end! =D I am researching M. Oleifera and came across your blog! I am trying to figure out how much moringa powder my 2 year old son should be taking daily. You dont by chance have an idea do you? Worth asking! Thanks!
-Tennessa

Bryan said...

Tennessa. Send me a not to my email - listed below ... BwanaBB@yahoo.ca . I will send you some more information. Suggest a tablespoon daily. The information I have will make it clearer. Certainly enjoying the benefits of it for myself.

Unknown said...

Hi Brian, we just moved from Canada to Trujillo, Honduras Eco-development and I need to get some powdered Moringa and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. My e-mail address is dave@davebachand.com