Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bookkeeping – And You Said Hell Did Not Exist

Manuel and I spent the day attacking the bookkeeping that has built up while I was away. There are so many little things that need to be thought of when you are trying to keep funds from several accounts and for a couple of different projects straight. My high school bookkeeping has been one of the most valuable course I have had in my life. Nevertheless, it was a challenge. Fortunately we ended the day as friends and with things in reasonable shape for one set of books. The next set will be looked at tomorrow.

Technology is so amazing. Yesterday I was able to figure out (with the help of an email and cell phone call to my son in Fort McMurray) how to change the keyboard to Spanish characters. What a relief that is for my typing of the textbook material. I was copying and pasting each little É and ñ type of thing as I went along. Truly monotonous. Now, with a click of the mouse I can move from English to Spanish and back again. Too cool. The downside of technology is that for some reason three of the pages I typed so diligently this morning never made it through the save process.

Having to type in Spanish is, I hope, helping me focus on learning more of the language. Each hour brings familiarity with several new words. That is great. Now, to move them from recognition to usefulness in conversation.

This morning, I walked to work in the rain. Before I started out, I braced myself for the wet. Delightfully, as is so often the case, the rain was warm and made the trip most enjoyable. I had forgotten again how latitude does affect the temperature of precipitation. Having just shovelled a bunch of colder type stuff it is understandable why I forgot what was likely to happen here.

On Saturday, I went into a book store and bought six tiny story books. When I got home this evening, the little neighbour girl was outside so we sat down and read two of them. I have no idea if she understood them or not but she thought it would be great to read some more tomorrow. The pictures are nice if nothing else.

I had planned on French baguette with jam and peanut butter for supper (there is a new bakery in town). Well, as I was about to open things up, there was a knock on my door and my neighbour brought a plate of fried tilapia, fried plantain chips and a coleslaw salad. Wow. What a neat gift. You can bet the bread will wait till morning. Last night one of my other neighbours brought two baleadas. It is so heart warming when things like this happen.

The metal workers finished welding my four clothes hanging thing-a-ma-jigs. There is a coat of white paint on them and we will see if that is the final step. They look pretty nifty and the owner was thinking of taking one into town to try drumming up some business. Manuel is now thinking of how he can get a few for his house. Who says that you can’t learn something from late night TV Sales shows? Of course, these won’t come with the same hype as the stuff on TV.

After supper, I hung some pictures, pots, pans, spoons, spatulas, hats and clothes on my new wall fixtures. I ran out of nails so had to stop. Probably just as well as I might get everything I own on the walls.

One last thing. Yesterday, as I was walking into town, I passed a young man carrying a rocking chair made of metal tubing and strung with blue and white plastic cable. We haggled for awhile and I ended up with a new piece of furniture. It is delightful to sit in and very relaxing. With my feet up on a plastic stool it is as good as having a lazy boy.

TTYL
BB

No comments: