Sunday, March 1, 2009

Waiting to Build a Lorena Oven

The crew to build a Lorena Oven are to arrive in the next few minutes. As they were to arrive at this time yesterday I am cautiously pessimistic. The good news is that all of the materials arrived yesterday afternoon so we are definitely making progress. It will be exciting to have one of these fuel efficient stoves to experiment with. It will include a small baking oven (I think – that is the plan) so will be quite versatile. The Lorena Oven uses much less fuel and, better yet, smaller dimension fuel wood (even corn cobs). This means that a family with one of these ovens can plant much smaller types of trees which grow faster, coppice rapidly and have other uses for food and fodder. Since the trees are smaller, they can be planted closer together and so need much less space to provide enough fuel for a family.

As Manuel and I hiked to and fro in Santa Cruz looking for a place which could make a cement beehive we stumbled upon an office fronting for a concrete pillars, railings and balustrade posts making outfit. Imagine our surprise when the lady involved spoke wonderful English and, amazingly, is working on sustainable agriculture on her plot outside of town. She was excited to meet someone else who knew a tiny bit about beekeeping and was very helpful. The next morning, I was up and out by 6 a.m. to catch the rapidito with her to go see her land. Amazing what she has been able to accomplish in a couple of years. Even more amazing the potential that awaits further work. It was such a wonderful opportunity to talk with someone who is knowledgeable about many of the things I have looked at. We will see how the conversation continues.

This lady, Rosa, encountered a small boy in the village who was basically living a feral existence. He `lived` with his father but spent many of his nights outside on the ground and obviously went hungry much of the time. She took him home and he is now in school. At almost ten years of age, he looks, to me, much like a six year old. He is definitely well behind in the growth and development curve. A reminder that there are many invisible people who need help and attention.

Two more meals with our growing favourite – Sweet Potato Leaves. One meal was scrambled eggs with tomatoes, cream and leaves. That went over fairly well. The other was chicken, coconut milk, rice, curry and leaves. Everyone had second helpings of that one so we are making progress. Yesterday I took a try at making my own yoghurt and it set nicely so we can try yoghurt as a base for some of our meals. Will also try one with peanut butter sauce – a favourite method in Uganda.

Friday night, on the way home from the town centre, I encountered three small boys pelting down the street toward me. I wasn’t sure what they were running from until, another 20 metres along, I met their dangerous opponents. Obviously they had been troubling two little girls until the girls had had enough. Both girls had their hands full of mud and were flinging balls of mud at the boys. Happily, I was outside of the firing line.

Further down the street I was just beginning to wend my way through a street soccer game when I heard some shouting. The boys looked at me and pointed backwards. I turned around and found that I was passing the home of the Principal of the Santa Cruz Education Department. So, after a visit with him and two others of his staff (an hour and a half later) I completed my journey.

Finally one type of mango is hitting the market. They are small mangos but, nevertheless, very delicious. Will enjoy them while they are in season.

Have a good Sunday.

Bryan

1 comment:

Reuben Friesen said...

Would love to hear more about the Peanut butter! I too cook several dishes with a peanut butter base for the sauce.