Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Afternoon – Dec. 14

Saturday turned out to be National Telethon day in Honduras. Two flat beds were set up side by side at the top of the city square and all day (until midnight) there was entertainment of one sort or another. I was able to watch some traditional and modern dancing which was well done. One of the town dogs tried to join the dancing but gave up quickly – no partner I guess. People with twenty litre plastic water jugs were wandering through town collecting money for the telethon – on behalf of handicapped people and services in Honduras. I understand that there is a wee bit of scepticism as to whether all the money ends up in the hands of handicapped service. The sponsor of the telethon also owns the TV stations and so forth that it is broadcast on. So ... is he doing it for nothing?

While standing watching them set up in the morning, one of the people I have met in the Principal’s office handed me a CD of his music group. He had told me about his music when talking in his office. I am enjoying it as I type this. The quality of music that I hear in churches and yesterday at the Telethon is quite good. A very pleasant surprise to go to church and have such a pleasant sound.

Last night was a sad evening. Marathon scored with thirty seconds left in regular time to win the championship. Next year for Reál España now. Enjoyed the game with a friend and, despite wearing my team jersey, all was in vain.

This morning dawned sunny and bright. In short order all the cold, damp days were forgotten and spirits were lifted. I went to mass and enjoyed, again, the music group. Most of the service is easy to follow but don’t ask me to interpret for you. The statutes of Mary and Joseph are out for the Advent Season. They have bars on the pedestals for carrying in procession. Not sure when that will happen. A huge nativity set takes up the left front of the church. It is still covered so don’t know how it will look until Christmas Eve???

For afternoon activity time I decided to take the rapidito down to La Barca and deliver Moringa seeds to two friends. Got to my American friend’s place (L.F. is his name – not sure about the story on that one) and we sat and chatted ideas for an hour or so before he gave me a ride to the next stop, a plant nursery run by two friends.

En route we stopped at a place that makes tables from sections of tree stumps. Some lovely wood and great ideas. The quality of the workmanship wasn’t up to snuff yet but the designs were gorgeous to look at.

At the nursery, Santos, the owner, showed me where he had planted the Stevia seeds I had dropped off on Tuesday. There were at least twenty little specks of green peeking out so I am thrilled. I promised him $0.50 apiece for seedlings so he is anxious that they grow. He obviously knows a whole lot more about starting seeds than I do because, so far, he is having great luck. Will see in time.

While there I bought about 25 seedlings for the school. With a committee of people coming to see the place on Thursday, it is time to get some work done on the yard. Have lots of things and folks lined up for the next three days – hope it all comes together. Santos gave me a good deal on the plants and on transportation so we all arrived here safely and in good shape. I have a variety of shrubs that have lovely flowers or variegated leaves.

Had hoped to work on the internet and talk on Skype but I see that the internet is not working for some reason. Sigh. But ... did I tell you ... the sun is shining.

Some people set up very intricate village scenes for Advent. There are many different tiny clay figurines that depict various activities and village people available for a reasonable price. I noticed one display from the car window. Will have to find a way to stop and see it more closely.
Well ... power is out as well.

Bryan

No comments: